Hi,

So, there was a countdown of days until launch of the decentralised exchange about two weeks ago, with a daily email promoting it. I got very excited.

Then, it didn't launch on time, and after a few days I believe it launched in testnet.

Can we please get some clarity on when this is coming and can be used "for real"?

Also - are there plans for HALO to be listed anytime soon on external exchanges?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hey there! Thanks for coming and asking, as those are very valid questions.

I cannot answer the question about HALO being listed on an external exchange, however, I can address the rest of the question. First, I'd like to explain how we do our processes internally, and how that affects releases. 

Because of the nature of software and software development, there are always unknown factors. These unknown factors or edge cases can be a really big thorn in developers sides. Since these edge cases exist we as a company policy do not release any product directly from development into a live environment. So when we make an announcement that something will be live by X date then it is assumed on our end that this means live on a testnet or alpha/beta period. That being said, the plan was always to release to testnet first and not to mainnet. 

Secondly, we believe that end users have a say in how our applications flow, handle, and feel. This is why we release software as an alpha or beta state to testnet. This is not only to have the community help us find edge case bugs, but to also give us feedback on the interface and user experience. We take that feedback and use it to build a better and more refined end product.

In case you are not aware we define four stages of an application when in development here at Halo Platform

1.  Development - This is purely internal development and most of the time not very transparent as a lot of things change and go back and forth. The entirety of the code base could change if we have a tech change or a hard blocker towards a route we were taking.
  2. Alpha - This is an unstable, bug filled, testnet release meant to give the initial feel of the platform and to have community help to refine it. This release does not particularly reflect what the end product will be.
  3. Beta - This is a more stable release to testnet. We will have addressed initial community concerns but continue to refine the platform. This release better reflects the end product.
  4. Production - This is a stable release to mainnet that is the end product.

The answer to the question of "When will it be ready for live mainnet use" is... when it is ready. We will commit to doing often and continuous releases to fix issues and bugs as they appear, as well as add polish. The system for depositing eth is still not deployed to testnet but we hope to deploy it this week in its alpha state. Currently, I still view the dex as Alpha as there are rare issues with WebSockets that we need to track the bugs down and figure out how to eliminate the case were events are propagated properly.

Now to answer what happened and why was it late, that is a bit easier to answer. We scheduled to launch to testnet on August 15th, and we successfully launched on August 16th. The reason that it was a day late was two-fold.

1. We had the WebSocket issue that was preventing event propagation but it was much much worse. Systems that had been working in development for a while all of a sudden stopped working. (This happens in software development, it's called a development regression). We worked to finish fixing this and we were confident in fixing it. We finally found some major issues and had them resolved on the 15th of August. However, at this time it was well into the day (Late at night for our developers).
  2. We made a humane decision for the sake of our developers and community. We decided to not deploy until we had let our developers off for the night and come back in the morning with fresh and rested minds. This was to prevent any sudden issues from exhaustion from popping up during deployment. All in all, it took us a few hours to fully deploy and get all of our code moved through our release cycle, and so we released late afternoon on the 16th of August.

I know I went into a lot of detail, and probably too much detail. However, I wanted the community to have all the facts and to understand how our processes work. If you have any further questions on this please don't hesitate to ask. 

Thanks,

Shannon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! thanks a lot for such a detailed answer.

Obviously you guys care about your community.

I've been in software development for 23 years and all that you've just described makes perfect sense.

My issue however is on the marking side, how these things look from the outside.

1. For someone who doesn't understand much about this technology (and I think you can assume many of your users do not), there was no way for me to understand the countdown was for a testnet launch. I think it would be better if you made it clear, so that no false expectations are created.
  2. Since you know these things can happen, why not adopt a more flexible approach, and tell us that you'll be launching on the test net "during August" instead of specifying exact date? It would again help set the right expectations.

With that said, I love what you guys are doing and I'm sure greater things are ahead.

Thanks.

Thank you for the feedback Ziv. We learn a little more with each release and will endeavor to communicate expectations about test net better moving forward.

3 hours ago, Ziv said:

Wow! thanks a lot for such a detailed answer.

Obviously you guys care about your community.

I've been in software development for 23 years and all that you've just described makes perfect sense.

My issue however is on the marking side, how these things look from the outside.

1. For someone who doesn't understand much about this technology (and I think you can assume many of your users do not), there was no way for me to understand the countdown was for a testnet launch. I think it would be better if you made it clear, so that no false expectations are created.
  2. Since you know these things can happen, why not adopt a more flexible approach, and tell us that you'll be launching on the test net "during August" instead of specifying exact date? It would again help set the right expectations.

With that said, I love what you guys are doing and I'm sure greater things are ahead.

Thanks.

You are hitting it on the nail there. We are working towards that exact thing!

Thanks Devin and Shannon,

appreciate you reading the feedback and taking the time to respond.

Hello Ziv... I wanted to chime in as well.  My name is Matt Dowd and I joined this exciting team to help work on the Business Development efforts for the project,  My role covers finding new strategic partnerships for our platform as well as working to get the HALO coin listed on other external exchanges.  I assure you, the work is being done to get us listed externally as well... unfortunately, the approval process can be a bit longer and more laborious than you might imagine.  I promise you, I will be announcing publically (and loudly!) when I get that good news back.  Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any other suggestions, questions, or concerns.  I will do my best to get you an answer ASAP.

Thanks for all the feedback... I have never experienced a more passionate and supportive community in all my time in the financial/tech industry.

Matt Dowd

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HALO-Matt said:

Hello Ziv... I wanted to chime in as well.  My name is Matt Dowd and I joined this exciting team to help work on the Business Development efforts for the project,  My role covers finding new strategic partnerships for our platform as well as working to get the HALO coin listed on other external exchanges.  I assure you, the work is being done to get us listed externally as well... unfortunately, the approval process can be a bit longer and more laborious than you might imagine.  I promise you, I will be announcing publically (and loudly!) when I get that good news back.  Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any other suggestions, questions, or concerns.  I will do my best to get you an answer ASAP.

Thanks for all the feedback... I have never experienced a more passionate and supportive community in all my time in the financial/tech industry.

Matt Dowd

Thanks for that Matt. Best of luck.